Tuesday, July 7, 2020

When I Get to Heaven..


 
John Prine sings:
“When I get to heaven, I'm gonna shake God's hand
Thank him for more blessings than one man can stand
Then I'm gonna get a guitar and start a rock-n-roll band
Check into a swell hotel, ain't the afterlife grand?
And then I'm gonna get a cocktail, vodka and ginger ale
Yeah, I'm gonna smoke a cigarette that's nine miles long
I'm gonna kiss that pretty girl on the tilt-a-whirl
'Cause this old man is goin' to town”
 
And I must admit, it sounds like a plan.

But I’ll have welcome baggage to declare because these guys want to go everywhere with me, all the time. I love that!

You see MY idea of heaven is to have every one of my dogs that crossed the rainbow bridge before me, racing up to my side, mobbing me with dog kisses… all of them excited and healthy again.

Wow, Layla, your hair looks so thick and clean!

Kira! You’ve lost weight!

Sasha! I brought your Chuckit and your red tennis ball!

Emmie, I’ve got a pocket full of dried worms for you! Your favorite dog jerky!
Gwen, amazing! You can see me now that your eyes work again! They're beautiful, so big and brown!
Ohio, my big girl! Are you finding plenty of rabbits and squirrels to chase here?
Lilly, you must be taking a lot of showers, you’ve never smelled this good before!
Rufus! Look at you! No longer swollen and uncomfortable! You look lean and happy! Lets find some woods to run in later!
Anne! So good to see you bounce back from that nasty lyme desease! I told you to stay away from those damn raccoons and their ticks!

Then I’ll do the introductions:
Hey guys, this is Chica and Coco. They’ve been taking good care of me. I’ve told them about each of you. They go everywhere with me and wanted to stay close, just like they always do, following me room to room, so they came along too. You’ll like them

We’re going to have a ball!

Who wants to go for a ride in the car? Actually, I arranged for a bus. We need the extra seating!

Right now though, lets find the nearest couch so we can all huddle up together for a little while.

My friend John is right…ain’t the afterlife grand?





No comments:

Post a Comment