Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Travel In Place...

 

When I saw your Instagram post, some 35 years stepped out of the line behind me when I turned around to look.  There you were in the yard with Ohio..

Lying in the front yard of our Ashburn cabin, reading to Ohio as she stands guard. One of my favorite early pictures of you. When Carla told me that she planned to homeschool, my own very traditional upbringing made that sound like telling me that you were going into astronaut training. But in those days, my job was my job, Carla ruled at home. The only caveat I had was that you learn to be an excellent reader and writer. I knew those things could take you anywhere you wanted to go. We lived in the country, no TV, no peer pressure, you probably watched “Pete’s Dragon” on the VCR a thousand times or more. Books were your main vehicle for travel beyond the house though. You spent hours in a booth at Friendly’s Ice Cream parlor with armloads of books from the library, you and Carla reading to each other and to Hannah when she came along. Of course your first audience was Ohio the Wonder Dog, both of you sprawled out in the mottled sun. It was a perfect time, one of many to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment