Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Library Book Cover...

 

 

It was a beautiful day for a long dog walk at Moses Creek Park. On the way back home we stopped at the library so Carla could run in and pick up our completed taxes from the guy who had been working on them.

As I sat in the shade with the dogs, a man walked up close by who appeared to be homeless. His clothes were torn; he was unshaven and disheveled.

There are homeless camps in the woods around here and I assumed the sack he was carrying held the valuables that he didn't feel safe leaving behind when he went out. But he bent over just to my left, opened the sack and poured out fresh corn and sunflower seed on the sidewalk. The ducks came running, obviously very familiar with his routine.

He left almost immediately. I heard a car door slam behind me and watched him in my rearview mirror as he drove away in his new Lexus.

It's true that you can't judge a book by its cover, but at first that may be all we have to go on.

I felt a little bad about my assumptions, but I felt good about him and I was happy for the ducks and the cleanup crew of squirrels that came in after the ducks got bored and waddled back into the pond.




No comments:

Post a Comment