Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Dale, the Gator Guy..

 





Whenever I took the dogs out walking recently, we spotted an alligator down by the edge of the lake just behind our back fence, so I called the state alligator hotline, and they called Dale.

He caught two alligators in less than ten minutes.

Carla told me that she saw his truck out front, parked on the swale, so I went out the back way, down to the lake. I wanted to show Dale where the gator hangs out. He needed my input.

But Dale was already out there, straddling an alligator, taping its mouth shut with black electrical tape.

He looked up at me, asking: “Did you know there were two? See that guy out there? He’s bigger. ”

Sure enough, I saw the other one in the water about 40 feet away. With the first one secure in the grass, Dale went into action. Using a fishing pole with heavy line, and a lead-weighted, three-hook barb on the business end, he cast out beyond the second alligator, reeling in the line… fast.

Gator kept swimming but I thought it odd that he didn’t dive or swim away but rather, headed straight toward us. “It’s the barking dogs he’s after.” Dale said.

My two little yappers and my neighbor’s big guns, a Rottweiler, and a large, spotted mix, were all yelling their heads off, at us, and at the first gator, still struggling on the ground.

I remembered hearing that a big gator had taken an older dog from its yard one night, just a little farther down the lake from where are. He rolled around with that poor mangled dog, in the center of the lake for a few days before Dale, or another trapper, got him.

Now, our barking dogs were like Sirens, calling #2 into the danger zone.

Dale hustled to cast his line out two more times and was quickly able to snag the second gator by the tail. Lots of practice there.

Thrashing and rolling, Dale pulled on him like a saltwater fisherman with a shark. He asked me to hand him his catch pole, took it, and with the gator up close to the bank, Dale asked me if I would be OK with holding his fishing pole, now bent double and whipping the air. Trusting that Dale knew what he was doing, I was game to grab the pole as Dale put a foot in the water and rapidly noosed the second gator, pulling him up onto the bank. With a roll of black electrical tape between his teeth Dale dropped down onto the back of the animal and waited for just the right moment to clamp those gaping, open jaws, shut.

A quick cowboy loop of the tape, and #2 was a good as toast.

Following along behind as Dale pulled parallel dinosaurs back up the hill between our yards to where his truck was parked, I asked questions.

How many removals so far? “Probably more than 1,000.”

You sell them? “Yes, mainly the meat. These two aren’t very big, I’ll get around $60. each. I enjoy it. I don’t do it for the money.”

Back at the truck, Dale put the culprits in a holding cage as I asked if he had ever been bitten. Holding out his scared left hand for closer inspection, Dale said that he had let himself get distracted for just a second one time, and that was all it took for a gator to grab his hand. Knowing how important it was to prevent the dreaded alligator roll that so effectively removes hands and feet, maybe a leg from a big dog, Dale clutched the gator in a bear hug from behind. With a bite strength of 2,980PSI, almost three times that of a lion, tiger, or hyena, Dale called his friend over to try to pry open the jaws. Normally, that is just not possible unless you kill the animal first. That requires a well-aimed shot to the back of the head in a very specific place, something you can’t pull off when you are hugging the beast. But as fate would have it, that gator was missing a front tooth. The gap was where they were able to shove an aluminum pole halfway down the gator gullet, forcing him to tap-out and open up.

By that time, the EMT guys were there and spent the first twenty minutes washing and disinfecting the badly punctured hand and almost severed little finger. The cleaning was repeated in the ER. Infection is the real culprit with alligator bites.

“Flesh eating amoebas” Dale said.

Dale healed up and went right back into the danger zone that he so loves. His big regret was that he had ducked out on his seven-year-old grandson this time. “That boy loves to hunt gators with me. He’s fearless. He’s going to be mad at his Grandpa!”

Nope, the apple doesn’t fall far, even if it lands by a lake with hungry gators in it, eager to take your hand home for dinner.

Thanks Dale! I’ve seen videos of alligators climbing chain-link fences like ours. The dogs and I will sleep better now…

 



No comments:

Post a Comment