Saturday, January 26, 2019

Retablos...




I brought these retablos here today for Show-N-Tell. They belonged to my Grandparents, George and Ruth Maverick.

Grandma and Grandpa grew up together in San Antonio, TX, with close ties to Mexico and its beautiful culture. I remember seeing these in their house when I was a kid. They had them forever. Now they collect dust on my own bookcase. I’ve had them forever too.

Aside from any religious, cultural or artistic significance, they comfort me. When I look at them, I see George and Ruth, and feel just a tiny bit like they never left.
_______________________________________________________________________

A retablo in Mewxican folk art is a devotional painting,  using iconography derived from traditional Catholic church art. Small retablos are devotional or votive paintings, often on rectangular sheets of tin that illustrate holy images such as Christ, the Virgin Mother, or one of the hundreds of saints.


 






No comments:

Post a Comment