Friday, October 5, 2018

Stardust





For the last two months, I’ve been obsessed with finding a perfect oyster. It’s the Holy Grail of salt-water bivalves. Certainly invitations would go out immediately to his whole mollusk family, if I could only track him down.

We tried Barbara Jeans a few weeks back. They’re known for “Southern-accented seafood & comfort eats in a casual, riverfront spot with a patio & views.in Ponte Vedra”. They delivered on everything but the oysters. The local oysters were tired, dry and suicidal.

An expedition out to San Diego and back, 4,750 miles round trip, left me full of awesome West Coast delectables, but still frustrated with the lack of great oysters.

Then yesterday? THAT was the day of discovery.

Hulls Seafood Restaurant and Market in Ormond Beach came through. They had three different offerings: local, Chesapeake, and Pemaquid. I had the Pemaquid’s. They’re a “Maine institution” well-known for their full meats, pristine flavor, and powerful brine. Large, cold, fresh, clean, flavorful and briny. Add a dollop of cocktail sauce, horseradish, and a squeeze of lemon and you’ve got succulent perfection, cradled in a multi-hued pearl shell that was custom made to cloak that particular Oyster like no other in the world.

I so appreciated the moment, as I try to do with the many other perfect moments that I consistently encounter along the path on my way back to stardust.




No comments:

Post a Comment