Thursday, October 25, 2018

Dinner With An Angel








Imagine my amazement. Forty years we’ve been together and no clue. To say she surprised me is the world’s biggest understatement. There we were, just hanging out, when she said:
“Honey, I’ve been meaning to tell you something.”

Still staring into my iPhone and not really paying attention I muttered:
“OH YEA? WHAT’S THAT?”

I didn’t even look up until I heard the flapping and felt the wind. It sounded like one of the Muscovy Ducks from our front yard flapping his wings at the dogs, except bigger, much bigger. Like a Condor on steroids.

That’s when I looked up and saw Carla in a new light. Actually an alternating aura of red, green and blue that highlighted her immense wings. The ones I never even knew she had.
“I’m an angel!” Carla stated emphatically.

“I’VE ALWAYS THOUGHT SO BUT NOT LITERALLY. YOU’VE GOT SOME HUGE DAMN WINGS COMING OUT OF YOUR SHOULDERS!”

“I’m an angel. I just never got around to mentioning it before. I may go ahead and fly back home if you’ll drive my car. I want to really try these babies out. Right now though, I’m hungry, low on fuel, and you should never let an angel get cranky. So buy me dinner. Preferably Thai.”

“40 YEARS AND NEVER A WORD? UNBELIEVABLE. THINK OF ALL THE TIMES YOU COULD HAVE HELPED OUT. JUST LAST WEEK WE STOOD IN LINE FOREVER AT THE DYLAN CONCERT, WHEN YOU COULD HAVE SIMPLY FLOWN IN AND CLAIMED THE BEST SEATS!”

“Feed me!” Carla insisted.

“OK, NOW YOU’RE STARTING TO SOUND LESS LIKE AN ANGEL AND MORE LIKE AUDREY 2 IN LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, A STRANGE AND INTERESTING PLANT, BUT NO ANGEL.”

All is well that ends well though. I got Carla her Thai food and she got to fly back home.

Driving home I was impressing myself thinking “LAST WEEK I SAW DYLAN, AND TODAY I JUST HAD DINNER WITH AN ANGEL!”






No comments:

Post a Comment