Thursday, July 5, 2018

Pooppourri...









You know how some people really care about food? They worry about the ingredients, how fresh they are, organic or not…locally sourced or shipped cross-country in a refrigerated truck? Many foodies obsess over recipes, considering the balance of the herbs and spices and the preparation techniques.

OK, I’m speaking of myself but you know what I mean.

Lots of folks could care less. They just want the McDonalds drive-through line to move quickly, allowing them to inhale fast food in the parking lot before they even get to the exit. To them, food is like gas. They have an empty tank and just want to fill up and go.

Dogs are the same way with shit.

Chicca, the little bitch, will stop and sniff politely, and then quickly move on. Not Rufus. He has to really spend some time, changing angles and approach. He needs to take it all in. Who was this dog, he wonders? What breed? What sex? And what did he or she have to eat recently? Inquiring canines want to know.

He inhales deeply, as if sampling perfume. His jowls quiver as he tastes the air.

Like all dogs, Rufus has an extra sensory organ in the roof of his mouth: a Jacobson’s organ. Most animals have one. It helps a dog "read" the different scents that he is smelling.

When Rufus quivers his lips, it’s because he is using that organ. Animal waste contains pheromones and other hormones so that a dog can tell many different things about that little, or not so little, calling card left there by some other dog before Rufus came along. He can tell if it’s a male or female, where the female is at in her cycle, and if the dog may be more dominant or submissive than himself. He may also be sniffing wastes from prey animals as well. The Jacobson's organ helps a dog “taste” what he smells and eats.

As with people, all dogs are different. Rufus cares about shit. He wants to savor it and ponder the many questions about its origin, composition, and freshness.

Chicca, not so much.

Chicca is a McDonalds gal. She doesn’t seem to care much, often gobbling down a big piece of turd before I can shame her and pull her away. She doesn't care about savoring or smelling so much but she will gulp down a piece of shit quickly in passing, before she even hits the exit. It’s just gas to her.

Back home from our morning walk, it’s time for me to think about my own breakfast. It will be something nice. I’ll serve myself at the big oak table while I sit with my computer.

Chicca will want to jump up into my lap, but I remember what she had for her own breakfast just ten minutes earlier and know that if I invite her up, she’ll try to lick my mouth, or maybe even get lucky and slip me some tongue.

I’ll pass. She can stay on the floor.





No comments:

Post a Comment