Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Friends...(At Least For Now)


It was good to see an old friend at the gym this morning, a guy I hadn’t run into for over a year, probably two. We used to talk a lot, comparing life notes. Anything and everything was fair game, including politics. But the Trump phenomenon caused us to butt heads. As things ramped up, I didn’t see him at Planet Fitness anymore; I only saw him on Facebook. He cares more about his image in this town than I do, more politically correct online. I regularly attack Trump and double down with his supporters. They flabbergast me even more than he does as I publically wonder how any thinking person could support this sideshow? I call them complicit, vow to hold them accountable.

Ted unfriended me on Facebook and I thought it was for the best. Why aggravate ourselves?

When we ran into each other this morning, all of that was water over the damn that didn’t need to be resurrected in person. I know how he feels and I’m not going to change his mind, nor will he change mine. We both know that and spoke warmly of other things as if there is no political divide. That was cathartic for me. I don’t like conflict and generally handle it by avoiding it all together. Facebook friends are overwhelmingly like-minded. Trump zealots have been culled out. We post our strong opposition to the current president and his policies while we slap ourselves on the back in agreement about how right we are. Self-riotously correct and justified in our outrage.

It is what it is.

I’m not letting it drop, but I won’t let it eat my lunch either. I know how I plan to vote and have become more active in that regard, but walking around in my day-to-day? I expect to let it go and follow the sage advice we’ve all heard before:  Don’t’ talk about politics or religion with friends and family… especially if you want to keep them as friends and family.

It was good to see you this morning, Ted.




No comments:

Post a Comment