Wednesday, February 19, 2014

No shirt, No Shoes, No Problem...II








The log cabin was circa 1729, the main house, 1853. Nothing worked. Not the Jerry-rigged electrical systems, certainly not the pluming. The heating was sketchy and dangerous. But working on “K” Street in downtown DC, had me canned up in a suit for which this place provided the opener. Five acres of wilderness on the edge of bedroom communities with houses packed tighter than a Japanese subway. After a long commute home, sometimes only inches at a time on the beltway, I would pull into that front yard, step out of the car as it started to cool...small popping sounds peppering the layers of desperate love songs sung by a thousand cicada choruses, and I could pee in any direction. Exhaling the city and carbon monoxide, inhaling clean air scented by the twin Cedars that shared hammock duty on the lawn, I would turn toward the faint sound of music coming from inside the house, knowing that all I cared about most in this world was in there. Carla and the girls, pink from hot baths, immersed in their own world of children's books and craft projects, all of which would be dropped to the floor when I walked inside. You would think it was Christmas morning and I was Santa... but they were the ones giving me presents, presents that for me were, well, everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment