Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Half Life in a Loud Shirt...







As we get older, we fade. The hair goes white, if it even hangs around at all. Skin pales as we avoid the sun out of concern that we don't want to finance a new boat for the dermatologist. Women have makeup to color in the lines. Their lips and nails can pop with 1,000 different shades, new hair colors are available to reflect any whim. But men become translucent. Sometimes I feel like little more than a walking pair of pants and shirt. My reflection in a glass storefront is almost headless, just a puff of ghost smoke clouded around my collar. And that's why old guys wear loud shirts. They color us in and reflect our spirit much more accurately than our half-life bodies. So I was happy to get this new shirt from Carla. It helps to convey my spirit of “I'm old but my give-a-shit-level is so low that it may be best for you if you don't try to push my buttons” at least that's what I hope my loud shirt says. In reality it's probably asking for directions to the nearest bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment