Thursday, February 27, 2014

Facebook Friends










It's been said that Facebook friends aren't “real” friends, but I strongly disagree. Often the friends we see in person are from a very limited pool...workplace friends, neighbors, other people sleeping under the bridge next to us (OK, that one is probably just me). We have friends from college, clubs, organizations, etc. But our Facebook friends, the ones we count on seeing regularly, the friends we really want to hear from, are friends with whom we resonate in a special way. These are relationships that we have chosen not out of physical proximity, but because we very much want them in our lives
If Carol didn't pop up at least 26 times a day with interesting tidbits, retro photos, musical whimsy and over the top clever verbiage, it would be a huge loss for me. Orlando, Mark and Oscar post their own photographs which run the gamut from breathtakingly gorgeous to raw and gritty. If Richard didn't question almost everything we take for granted, I probably wouldn't grow in ways that make me a better person. Glenn is our very own built in Snopes. He checks the facts 12 different ways and lets me know that almost everything I say is wrong. Kevin keeps it light and Yvonne keeps it tight. Nick and Alex are amazing artists. When I see their work, although very different, it causes me to think of things way beyond the canvas, things I can only see in my mind's eye. My sister Judy has started painting in her retirement and will be joining them soon in art galleries around the world. Jeff is so busy making Molotov cocktails in his mind, I'm surprised he has any time at all to post his raw rebellion (fueled by real cocktails). I believe an agent from Homeland Security lives in a van parked in front of his house. Ce checks in from Thailand with tails and tales of LoveBird the chicken while Jon and Kurtis work their asses off for charity and great causes. Those guys cause me to think that perhaps watching endless reruns of the Porter Wagoner Show may not be the best possible use of my time. Brian helps to keep it alternative and real. Of course the three favorite people in my life are indispensable Facebook friends: Carla, Ruth and Hannah. Carla's interests are like her, out of the box and awesome, as are her excellent writing skills. Ruth lends class and beauty to my Facebook page as she does with everything in life. Hannah is the gypsy who provides insight into places and cultures all over the world that I'll probably only see through her eyes.

One common thread here is the fact that these are all highly intelligent, creative people, and that works for me. I need contrast in order to know what I'm missing.

And there are so many more. So yes, Virginia, Facebook friends are real, and I would be lost without them. Many thanks to all of you, my friends.






No comments:

Post a Comment