Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Robbed, but Richer...

 

2015

We all choose our reaction. No one “makes me mad” I may choose to react with anger, but that's on me. So after traveling the globe for the last eight years without incident, Hannah got robbed yesterday in Texas. She's on a trek throughout North America. Houston proved to be a bump in the road. Not good, certainly, but like all of us, she had a choice in how she reacted to it...

She said:

“This morning, things were stolen from me. Not some things but all of the things I own. I had packed up my Prius with the treasures from the last eight years abroad and sought comfort in finally having them surround me as I headed west. Last night though, someone decided that they wanted, needed, or deserved, these precious belongings more than I did and they broke my car window and pilfered out the only things I can call my own. I've gone through a series of emotions today but immediately I recognized that I am the lucky one in this scenario. I am the one who got to travel to Samoa and buy that little change purse from the ladies who make them locally. I am the one that knew those dresses were made of Egyptian cotton. I am the one who got to wear those beads from South Africa and I am the one who purchased that painting in Greece. The necklace was from Spain, I remembered, daydreaming of cobblestone roads in old town San Sebastián. France was where the leggings that are embroidered were picked up for a big night out in Cannes. The hats came from Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia, to shield me from the scorching sun as I toured Angkor Wat. Prayer beads from Bali, onesies from Australia, my overalls from New Zealand and the irreplaceable Fiji pearls that dangled around my neck for months on end. These things meant so much more to me than the iPad, JBL speakers, cash, or headphones. I can only hope whoever has their hands on them now can feel the power in those threads and beads and know to give them away to people who will cherish them.”

 



No comments:

Post a Comment