Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Walking With the Beast...




 

 3:29am, 2 feet & 8 paws, rollicking down the street, elated to be outside, in it. Black fur 4 X 4’s skitter and twirl on long leashes, kites out of control, caught in pushy crosswinds. Horizontal blowhards break out their best takedown moves, going for the legs. Dogs twist and encircle. My own muscle memory launches into Tai Chi dance, well-practiced, circling one leash overhead to reverse the tangle, another twisted counter clockwise, controlling the dance. Trees culled, throwing their bundled clippings into my face, an intentional act. Fuck it all, I’m more alive here on the edge, out of my little nest, the one with two lights on over there, than I ever am inside wallowing in excess and false security.

Fortunately, I have the luxury of no one pushing me either way, other than myself.







No comments:

Post a Comment