Thursday, September 14, 2017

Treasure Hunt!





When the girls were little, I used to make-up treasure hunts for them. Just for laughs I did this one when they were grown, both home visiting us about ten years ago. . I think it may be time for a new one.
..
Seventeen years, all come and gone,
Since Ruth dragged poor Hannah on that Lovettesville lawn, 
Both grown now, so pretty, but hopefully still…
They’re able to play at this game until,
New treasure is found,
In this house or this yard,
You two are real troopers, 
It can’t be that hard.
So go to Dad’s dresser and look at the mirror,
The next clue is there, it couldn’t be clearer! 


(TAPE TO MY MIRROR)

It’s a nice sunny day to hang clothes in the yard,
We don’t need the dryer, so it shouldn’t be hard,
To find the next clue just sitting inside,
With little attempt to trick or to hide.

(INSIDE THE DRYER)

I’m tired of tumbling around and around,
Please take me outside onto firm level ground,
In the pool house you’ll find an old length of hose,
With a clue sticking out, and a question to pose. 

(IN THE POOL HOUSE)

Come see me inside of the front sitting room,
Where I have a box, it isn’t a tomb!
I still want to play, so I’ll give you a clue,
And follow in spirit, and maybe bark too!
Love, Emmie

(AT THE BOX OF EMMIE'S ASHES)

Remember how I loved to scurry and scamper?
Well I’m with you right now as you go to the hamper,
That sits in the surf-room, (the door right behind you),
And pick out the picture of me…with Gwen and you two! 

(IN THE SURF ROOM)

In our garage the tandem bike’s tough,
It survived Hannah’s outings and treating it rough,
And now just to show that there are no hard feelings,
The bike holds a clue that may be appealing.

(IN MY TANDEM TRIKE)

I think running all over is making you groan,
So go back inside and pick up your phone,
Place a call to your Dad and listen to find
That your last clue is simple, you won’t even mind.

(PUT MSG ON MY PHONE)

This message was made for Hannah and Ruth,
Who should look for the scrimshaw on an antique whale’s tooth that sits on a shelf full of nick-knacks and dust,
And some old metal pictures, now eaten with rust.
You’ll be very close to something old just for you,
To keep till you’re older and you have kids too.

(ON DISPLAY SHELF)

Look in the table of books,
Two not Four,
And take out the boxes from the bottom-most drawer.
(PUT GIFTS IN DRAWER OF BOOK STACK COFFEE TABLE)






No comments:

Post a Comment