Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Jay Hughes


His high pitched, repetitive yelp still rings in my ears like a Mariachi band singer yelling at Saturday night itself. Riding his motorcycle locked in the arc of one impossibly long “wheelie” from the men's dorms to the main campus... that's how I remember Jay..an out-of-control crazy guy with a huge raised scar griping the back of one hand. Rumor was that it came from a shotgun blast through a hand that was doing it's best to seal the end of the barrel. But he could no more contain the shotgun blast than he could his own explosive energy. That shotgun blast... what a great story for a campus full of impressionable young people trying to figure out who they wanted to be when they grew up. I was one of them and to me, Jay Hughes represented an extreme end of a bell curve. He drew a line in the sand and dared everyone, anyone, to step over it and join him. I always liked that.

No comments:

Post a Comment