Monday, January 16, 2012

Athens Alabama, 1969


Orlando, Howard and I were sitting on the twin beds in my place, smoking, up a storm. A room on the front corner of the top floor. I split the cost with Al Wheeler since the college had to pay for the new dorms and forced everyone to rent a room. Al had rented a place off campus, so our dorm room became a private room for me. Anyway, we had the obligatory towel rolled and stuffed in place at the base of the door to prevent the hallway from getting too smelly and with vice grips holding the lock handle, even a master key couldn't open the door from the outside. Al Wheeler had turned me on to the Derek and the Dominoes album, “Layla”, and it was cranking away. With Mescaline jammed down into my bedpost, some great Panama Red bagged and taped up under the sink, and a couple of hits of LSD flattened into the lining of a blanket...I was well supplied to weather any storm life could conger up, or possibly go to jail for a very ong time. A loud knock on the door told me that George of the Jungle, a townie known mainly for his pot sales, had arrived as expected. Unlatching the vice grips, I got down on my knees and cracked open the door, looking up from floor level just to goof on George. But it wasn’t George. Dean Hayes was standing there smiling down at me as clouds of smoke rolled out of the open door and gave our beloved Dean of Men a big smelly, welcoming hug.

Standing up straight with shock and almost faint with paranoia, I stepped aside as Dr Hayes walked into the room and sat down on one of the twin beds, shoulder to shoulder, between Orlando and Howard. I had never known him to visit any of the student rooms or even having been in any of the dorm buildings before. Dr Hayes sat calmly, almost Buddha like in his demeanor, between a very stoned Orlando and our wild-eyed mute playmate, Howard. An obscenely bright knife of light from the still slightly cracked door cut through lazy clouds of exhaled ganja in my dimly lit room. We all sat silent, watching the smoke clouds drift in the light like huge gray jellyfish undulating in and out of dark shadows. Dr Hayes broke the silence with unrelated pleasantries. Mumbled responses followed embarrassing silences.

That was it. And then the good doctor got up and left the room. Yes ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building. To go get the cops and have us thrown in some Godforsaken Athens Alabama jailhouse? To prepare the expulsion papers for an obvious bunch of losers? No, the nervous passage of time told us that he just left our room, no more, no less. But his visit had made quite an impression.

Although I never had Dr Hayes for any classes, my understanding was that he was well traveled. Whispers of exotic experiences in Morocco were probably spun by students who wanted to add to his mystique but helped me put his visit into perspective none the less. Expulsion would have served no purpose. The fact that we were young guys smoking pot in 1969 in an extremely conservative area of the country was just an ironic twist of fate. A broader, wiser world view added a balance that we were too young to appreciate.

Later that year, just before my own graduation, Dr Hayes offered me a job as his assistant. I think he wanted some team members from outside of the cultural island that was Athens in the late 1960’s. He was seeking balance, as eventually, we all did.



stined to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment