Friday, December 16, 2011

Wetwork dreams





 I don’t think that the water will last beyond another week; ten days at most. It won’t last for all of us anyway. So that raises an interesting question. Who gets the water? Who survives? If help really is coming early next month, the five of us will be dead by then if we share the water equally. So what’s the point? Two could live until then perhaps, three with luck and the willingness to gamble with the lives of all three being over rationed and not able to make it... Either way, two of us have to go- at a minimum. Three would provide a better assurance of survival for two lucky darlings. Or deadly darlings if the three losers can’t follow through on the result of a drawing of straws. And then if there is an unwillingness to execute or self execute, the plan, what then? How do the two winners dispatch the three losers without some kind of an edge? A very sharp edge would be helpful

Then there’s the democracy thing. Anne is a complete idiot that won’t be able to last regardless of how much water we have. She’s already starting .to break down. She thinks all of this is some kind of pathetic plan, that we are all in this together to “get” her because we are jealous of the fact that her husband financed this whole deal and made us take her along. I wish it were that simple. Ben’s another problem. He’s too old, too fat, and he needs too much water and food to feed his bloat. He slows us down and is too high maintenance. Even if he gets his share of the water, then what? He still won’t be able to walk all the way back to the landing strip. So why even draw straws to see who gets what? Those two are dead weight anyway and we need to jettison them …permanently. I just don’t know if I should undertake that nasty little project by myself when Aaron and Jennifer are sleeping or if I should include the lovebirds in the …”execution” of the plan. Certainly I can make it look like an accident. Anne and Ben almost walked off of one of the steeper ledges on the way here anyway. If they actually went over the edge while trying to get back to the landing strip at night, who would be surprised? It would serve them right for being so selfish for trying to beat us back to that last canteen of water we left by the side of the runway. Ben was the one who ditched it even though I told him not to. But he wined and cried that his pack was too heavy and insisted that the one canteen would be enough. Of course he never expected the unprecedented heat we encountered or the piss poor maps that led us down paths that only existed on the infrared satellite photos that we thought we were so clever to sneak out of the USGS office in Washington. Ancient stream beds that long ago turned into depressions filled with impassable explosions of jagged shale. It took us twice as long to get here as we originally planned and it took three times the water just to survive the heat.




So we still have a concern. If we take Anne and Ben out of the equation we may be able to survive. although I have a problem with that “may be able to” part. With Anne and Ben gone it’s just the lovebirds and me. They won’t like the odds of three people trying to live on just enough water for two any better than I do and of the three of us, who do you think they will want out of the picture? I’ll have to sleep with one eye open and my hand on my knife. But if Jennifer has the stomach for a real attack, if Aaron can convince her that it is their only chance, I could be in deep shit. They are both fitness freaks and I think that Jennifer could hold her own…to a point. If it becomes an issue of me against them, I’ll need to strike first. I won’t be safe once Anne and Ben are gone so all I can do is go for Aaron right after they’re done with.. No sneak attack, no dark of night stuff. Just flat out get it done and over with A S A P. Jennifer won’t have time to react until it’s too late. Then she’ll be so stunned that she won’t be able to. She knows that she can’t get back without my help. She will also know that I can’t let her go back and talk about what happened to Aaron. Maybe she’ll try to convince me that she won’t tell. That’s after I convince her that only two of us could have survived this whole thing anyway and I choose to save her, and to save her from Aron’s lies as well. She doesn’t know anything about his relationship with Tiffany back home. She thinks that they are just coworkers. That will really burn her butt. I expect then, when she settles down and it all sinks in, that cute little Jennifer will be grateful to be alive and grateful to be rid of that conceited lying jerk who’s been blowing in her ear for the last two months. I expect her to be grateful. Big time. So there may be a little bonus in it for me. Ultimately it won’t do her any good, of course, but it will help to kill the time that I have to wait until the next plane is due. I’m just glad that I had the foresight to bring a deck of cards to play a bit solitaire before the plane arrives.




No comments:

Post a Comment