Thursday, December 15, 2011

Buttons On Your Robe…




Let me help you with that, the buttons on your robe,


And guide you to the safety of a chair.


We’ll go down to the dining room and make a grand entrance,


All eyes on us as we move together in slow motion.


Your hand in mine; let me lead the way.




Sharing time with you is priceless; there is nothing I want more.


And if your unsure hand should stall and drop a bite of dinner in your lap,


You care, I know you care, but I don’t care at all.


I’ll just smile and love you.




Sixty years ago you taught me how to button my clothes.


You helped me into my chair.


If food fell from my dimpled hands, you just smiled and loved me.


And I felt safe with you.






All too soon my hands will shake like yours do now.


My girls can help me with the buttons on my robe.


I’ll think of you, and feel safe, going forward in slow motion,


Your hand in mine, showing me the way.






No comments:

Post a Comment