Monday, September 21, 2020

Sunrise Serenade...

 


Our morning walk was windblown, wet & sandy.  Intermittently muddy, we splashed through salty pools nestled in shoals of low-tide mussels, now exposed.

I thought of the black-lip bowl at Ned’s, momentarily lost in memories of chopped garlic and white wine.

The scent of salt flats stirred by new morning breezes chasing their own tails ushered in a dramatic new sunrise, a solar orchestra rising from the pit, instantly wowing an appreciative audience.

Before leaving, we rolled on our backs, squirming with delight atop a skeletal catfish tossed unceremoniously into the high grass next to the car. Our own smells masked, we were energized, rejuvenated and hungry for breakfast, as well as for the new day itself.

Bits of cheap hot dogs, cold from the fridge, torn into toss and catch treats for the girls, a toasted bagel for me. I ripped off a piece of bagel, lobbing it up over my head, just to see if I could catch it in my mouth to show solidarity to the kids. They scrambled for my failed attempt as it bounced off the oriental rug, into an empty shoe.

After bathing the girls in the laundry tub, I even took a shower myself, cognizant of my responsibility to lead by example.

Damp, now smelling of shampoo, they collapsed at the foot of the bed, coma twitching in their squirrel dreams, as I read my book.

Always thankful.




No comments:

Post a Comment