Saturday, August 22, 2020

Between the Troublemaker and the Recycle plant...

 




 

A Brooklyn kind of guy. Old school. He smelled of spaghetti sauce that needed refrigeration yesterday. Probably in his mid-70’s, still carrying a flame for Annette Funicello.

“Tony”

Of course it’s Tony.

“They used to call me Tony B.”  he told me, swelling a little with the memory.

“When I moved down here… it’s different. I just go by Tony, just Tony, you know?”

That’s what Momo Rose called me, just Tony. You met her once before she passed. She said that the “B” was for Tony Boy. Her boy, but we both knew it wasn’t.

A bit surprised at how slowly he had been walking, somewhat bowlegged, I asked Tony how he was doing.

“Ehh, I’m alive.” he shrugged.

“Doctor tells me I got a problem with my prostrate. They did some tests, want to do some more. Fuck them.”

Working himself up, red-faced, he sputtered out a rehearsed refusal “I ain’t letting three guys and that fat nurse get all up in my business. It’s like a stage show with lights there between the troublemaker and the recycle plant! They want to shoot a radiation bomb in me…right between the troublemaker and the recycle plant. Fuck them.”

And with that descriptive little slice of life, Tony shuffled off, never to be seen again. Not by me, anyway.

I’m sorry that I never got to know him well enough to ask why they called him Tony B.  Tony Brooklyn?  Tony the Butcher? He did seem like he may have been a tough guy. Funny that it wasn’t bullets to do Tony in though, it was a problem he couldn’t get rid of with concrete blocks and deep water.

Tony was bumped off by an unseen enemy…somewhere between the troublemaker and the recycle plant.  




 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment