Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A Taste Of Heaven...






Do you ever wonder about heaven in your quiet, existential moments?

I can tell you how to get there... in only three hours.

Remember the scene in “The Graduate” when the future father-in law whispers in Dustin Hoffman's ear: “plastics”? Well just close your eyes and feel me whisper in your ear: “braised oxtails”.

That's right, oxtails. Of course, they're not really oxtails, they are cow tails. OK, now my old fraternity brother, Bruce, is telling me “steers” “they're steers, not cows” but he's in the business of selling beef and has to be sensitive about what we call cows.

Anyway, they're cows.

Simply go the route most recipes promote: season, flour & brown the tails in olive oil. Cover with diced tomatoes, garlic, oregano, bay leaf, and lots of red wine. A secret ingredient? Dried onions dusted with dry amino (soy sauce). That’s not necessary, I just had them on hand. Otherwise, plain onions are fine.

Bake them in a Dutch oven for about 3 hours. Low heat. Slow and steady.

Boil some organic baby carrots in water and real maple syrup, drain & butter them.

Add a salad and a long loaf of fresh French bread to sop up the oxtail liquid.


Now that's heaven, right here, right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The picture used here is a generic shot I pulled of the Internet. I'm sure my own oxtails looked and tasted better, but that was weeks ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment