Sunday, December 24, 2017




Rape or drunken consensual? She was 15 and he was older. The law calls it rape regardless of the circumstances. One more of the “me too” crowd, chiming in 15 years after the fact. Somebody’s daughter, some daddy’s little girl.

This one happened to be mine.

Hannah is 30 now, living an exceptional life of teaching and travel. Acroyoga workshops around the globe. But it’s her Instagram following that allows her the freedom she has always taken, one way or another. Sponsors pay her to wear their clothes, stay at their resort, maybe sit on their couch, now her couch. Just mention it in a video, and with internet speed, hundreds of thousands of her followers see the product. It’s a powerful new face of advertising that reaches huge target markets, relatively inexpensively. Most of her followers are female, 15 to 45. Lots of videos of “flying” with her “base”, yes, but perhaps more impactful, are her words.

Writing to her base, observations, conclusions, stream-of-consciousness revelations, answers and questions to the crowd…Hannah touches many lives in some very positive ways.

Here’s one from last night. It’s uncomfortable for me to read; I never knew about it. On one hand I’m a little hurt that she didn’t confide in me 15 years ago. On the other, it may have been for the best. As her dad, I would have felt the need to “do” something about it. Fuck up the guy in some way or blow the whistle to the cops. Either one would have only served to give me some satisfaction at the expense of prolonging the hurt to her, simultaneously inviting public shaming and humiliation to surround her travels in this town. Maybe it’s best I didn’t know.

She gets many hundreds of responses to these things. I’m appalled at how many of her peeps have said “me too”. Same experience when I was 14, 15, they say. 

Hannah has already given me permission to repost anything she puts up. 

This is pretty raw and made me think twice about reposting it, but she has already shared it with a half million people, guess a handful more is just one very small step forward, in the right direction.











No comments:

Post a Comment