Saturday, December 16, 2017

10, 9, 8, 7, 6...






When we found that the SpaceX rocket was scheduled to launch yesterday morning, Pablo and I were both excited to go see it up close.

And no, Pablo doesn’t speak Spanish. His name is Paul. Apparently his mother called him Pablo for some reason and it stuck. He’s a bit of a tech-geek, a former “Remote Cross Platform Mobile Application Developer” whateverthatmeans and unless you have many extra hours to spend, never, I mean never ever, ask him about bitcoin. A very bright, sweet guy who develops content with Hannah for her massive Instagram following and acts as her “base” in their Acroyoga practice and workshops. Not easy. She’s a self-admitted “bossy flier”. But No Habla Espanol, mainly Habla bitcoin, and tech stuff.

On the drive down for the 10:36am lift off, Google told us that admission to the Kennedy Space Center was $50 per adult, although you get $4.00 off if you are old and creepy. Carla isn’t either of those things but since I double up on both, it would have been $192. for the four of us. The promo said that we should count on spending several days there to really take it all in. Carla had to work last night, Hannah and Pablo had a workshop to teach, and I need to be all diapered up and in bed by 7:30, so we decided to pass.

The second best spot to watch the show, other than the Kennedy Space Center itself, is at Space View Park. It’s on the shore of the Indian River, immediately opposite the launch pads, so that’s where we landed.

Pablo was bummed that he wasn’t close enough to be shaken, rattled and rolled and have his hair all singed off, but was a good sport about it anyway.

We had a perfect viewing spot, the day sunny, mostly clear, and hot enough in the direct sunlight that I lingered back under the shade of a large oak until just before liftoff.

The excitement was palatable in the crowd as the countdown began, everyone chanting along: T minus 20, 19, 18, 17…

No dummy, I had already asked some local dude which of the platforms we could see silhouetted against the sky was #40, where the SpaceX rocket was, so I knew exactly where to focus.

Standing behind a shady military monument with my eyes fixed on pad #40, the entire crowd started to cheer at liftoff…but I couldn't see shit. It turns out the local guy didn’t know his head from a tater so I had positioned myself in exactly the wrong place, with my view of the awesome fires of liftoff entirely blocked by the military monument. I was looking one way while the crowd was oohing and aahing looking in an entirely different direction… the right way. Sharp guy that I am, when the rocket started to visibly clear the monument and I saw fire in the sky, the rocket mostly traveled straight up behind the flagpole immediately centered behind the monument base. It was like watching a flagpole eclipse, the tall black shadow of the flagpole silhouetted by rocket flames shooting out from both sides. That was cool, but I couldn’t see the damn rocket itself and the people around me were too tightly packed for me to move. With the flagpole shadow centered on my face only, completely blocking my view, I made appreciative sounds along with the crowd, just to fit in.

The real show for me though was the SpaceX return and soft landing five minutes later. The resulting sonic boom was deafening. I didn’t have to light any of the cherry bombs I had brought for back-up if it failed to impress.

Seeing the rocked descend and land like that was the real-life, Technicolor version of the cheesy black and white science fiction movies I so loved as a kid. Buster Crabbe (Google it, youngsters) would have been proud.

Experienced camera guy that I am, I captured it all on my iPhone, but for some reason it looks like a close up of the back of some guy’s head.


Here’s the real deal, shot by someone in the crowd with us at Space View Park yesterday. Their photo doesn’t look like the back of some guy’s head though. 

They must have had a much better camera than I do.





No comments:

Post a Comment