Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Fences...








Zealotry presents an ugly face, regardless of which side of the fence it comes from. Self-labeling makes it even more restrictive. If you call yourself a liberal or conservative, Baptist or Shinto, you've already limited your ability to be open to case by case independent thought. We allow ourselves to step inside a box and say "This is who I am" rather than do the heavy lifting of looking at an issue from all sides and sources, to make the decision that we then believe to be the best. It's too easy to simply follow whatever our club, political party or religion dictates.

“I'm comfortably settled into my Lazy Boy, got my Big Gulp and my wide screen TV, don't make me actually think for myself.”

This abdication of independent thinking, (and personal responsibility), is all too frequently the basis for blind conflict in politics, religion, and most human interaction. We draw false courage and justify our actions in mob mentality. It becomes an assumptive prejudice that cuts both ways and hobbles every step we take, mistakenly believing them to be going forward.





No comments:

Post a Comment