Sunday, April 9, 2017

You Just Got Your Wish!



You Just Got Your Wish!

That’s the last line of my one-minute tune-up adjustment seminar. Attitude adjustment, that is. I should charge seminar fees.

It goes like this:

When speaking with someone who is obviously unhappy with their situation, understanding that there may be a thousand justifications for their cloud overhead, dismal and bleak, I often ask them about themselves. Most people love that subject: themselves. When you speak to them directly, one on one, really listening, they’ll quickly give you a window into their lives. Many think that they are unhappy for a good reason, but most simply lack perspective, so I continue.

Our waitress for lunch was a 23 year-old single mom of two young kids. Her own mother acted as her built-in babysitter, allowing young Ashley to work. But Ashley didn’t care about food or waitressing. She was just there for a paycheck. Although it was obvious that she loved her kids to death and her Mom too, Ashley thought her life sucked. Her baby daddy had dumped her, the Village Inn waitress job sucked, no money, nobody her age to talk to. All her girlfriends were out having fun without the responsibilities that were crippling her.

Many people like Ashley only have one reason to be unhappy with their lives: it's all in how they choose to view it.They don’t realize that without changing anything at all, except their perspective, they can be extremely happy, almost ecstatic with the possibilities of each new day.

It’s all about having a healthy perspective, attitude, balance, and gratitude.

Starting with perspective, I ask Ashley to just put up with me and listen for one minute.

Me: Ashley, one minute ago, you were an 83-year-old homeless woman losing a prolonged and agonizing battle with lung cancer. Coughing up blood, homeless for years, society’s trash, lying on a urine stained stack of damp cardboard between two large dumpsters. You, and all of society's garbage thrown into back alleys, out of sight. But as you lie there in agony, you saw a figure approaching. A woman who certainly looked the part said:

Fairy Godmother: I’m your fairy Godmother and I will grant you any wish you like!

Ashley: Anything?

Fairy Godmother: Yes, anything. Only, you’ll have no memory of this life.

Ashley: Memory of this life? This life sucked! I don’t want to remember any of it!

Fairy Godmother: OK then, what’s your wish?

Ashley: Well, I want a new life, a different life. Make me young again, with children this time, I never had any. I’d like to do it right, you know, have a job, live in a warm place. I hate New York! Give me a mother too, I never had one. If you could make all of that come true, I would be the happiest, and luckiest woman in the world!

Me: And BOOM! Ashley, you just got your wish!

Now you’re only 23 years old, living here in Florida on this great sunny day. You have a good, steady job, two beautiful children who mean everything to you, a wonderful supportive mother and lots of girlfriends. You are healthy, smart, pretty, and strong. That Fairy Godmother really came through for you!

OH, that’s right, I guess you can’t remember anything about your past life a few minutes ago…

It makes me very happy to believe that sometimes that story sinks in. Perspective can be key to having a great attitude, always seeking balance, and eternally grateful for the opportunity to simply exist in the moment.


But sometimes I get greedy for myself and I think, Hey! what about me? I have a wish too! So I contacted my Fairy Godmother and whined obnoxiously until she granted my wish…my fairy Godmother turned me into Etta James for a day! This video is me! Check out my rendition of “Something’s Got A Hold On Me” I’m so good!




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OueyaMoUUt4



No comments:

Post a Comment