Thursday, April 27, 2017

Inside the Cave...







By three or four am, even the partiers who had been out racing cars and motorcycles late into the night, fueled on alcohol and testosterone, are finally home in bed. The screams of engines, no longer suspended and vibrating in the air, now settled to the ground like dust on Tom Joad’s floor. Trucks fat with produce stand idle in their stalls, ready to run from their warehouses, delivering fresh produce throughout the area. Right now though, they wait silently, sleeping for another hour or two before, they begin the circuit.

No more road sounds or overhead flights suggest life beyond the security blankets pulled neck high. Only the pulse of my own engine beats in my ears, low and slow, a methodical drum.

Darkness and silence are cave-like in their collusion.

Dreams begin to slip away like water from the garden hose after the bib is shut,

Starting to stir, I start to lust for my quiet time. Black coffee, with no interruption from the world.

But there is something else more immediate, urgent. I feel her breath on my face. Without moving, I open one eye, blinking into the coal black, testing the water, a child’s first steps. Immediately the metronome begins, the accelerating whip of her tail against my chest.

She doesn’t care if it’s 3AM or 3PM, if I’m awake, she’s ready to go.




No comments:

Post a Comment