Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Contender







And now a word from the former PRESIDENT of a very prestigious chapter of THE NATIONAL HONORARY ENGLISH SOCIETY!

Sometimes just being in the right place at the right time is enough.

Before my college decided to finally wash their hands of me, put a diploma in my paws and a foot in my back, Athens State University conspired to elevate me to a position of great power and prestige. I was “elected” to the presidency of their local chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the national English honor society. It must have been a default thing, apparently I was the only one in the room. I don’t remember. My moment in the spotlight was brief, about five minutes, but that was long enough to give an award to Rita Trimble, and leave.

In my freshman year before that, The University of Georgia hadn’t recognized my incredible potential and failed to invite me back. Even though I had worked really hard every day, That was in the gym lifting weights and hanging out with a bunch of Bulldogs. As it turned out, UGA based their antiquated and laughable criteria on actual grades. They expected a “C” average or better. Absurd. So with a strong body and a belly full of Tiger’s Milk, I looked around for a college that would take me in before the Army insisted that I join them and become "Army Strong."

ASU had recently built four new men’s dorms and desperately needed to pay for them. They sent a recruiter up into the New Jersey/New York area and solicited a bunch of lowlife hippie types to come down to their fine institution in North Alabama to help pay for the new buildings. Entry requirements were tough. If you could fog a mirror, and had money, you were in. Fortunately, my lungs were good and Dad supplied the money. Mom made him.

Yes, I could have been a contender, for what, I have no idea. I just hope that Rita Trimble went on to publish multiple best sellers and amass a great fortune from her writing endeavors. Obviously, I launched her career and should get a percentage, but that’s a different story. Since I’ve never heard her name again, I have to assume that she uses a pen name, one that we would all instantly recognize and be properly impressed, if we heard it.

Like I say, sometimes just being in the right place at the right time is enough. In my case it was enough to help launch a monumental writing career…for Rita Trimble.

Me? You'll still find me in the “could have been a contender” file.




No comments:

Post a Comment