Friday, March 24, 2017

Memories In Silver











March 17, 2017


Dear Ruth & Andrew,

When I was a kid, dinner was at 6:00PM and we were expected to be in our seats at that time. Mom cooked, but Judy, Sue, Kenny and I all had dinner-related tasks. We would put out the various dishes that mom handed to us, along with butter, salt, pepper and other shared items for the Lazy Susan. One of us lay placemats in front of each of our six chairs. Usually white linen, they provided stark contrast to the dark Mahogany of our drop-leaf table.

I think that table belongs to Judy now.

Setting the table was my job. Using this silverware, I placed the knife and spoon to the right of the plate, always folding a paper napkin into a triangle to put under the fork to the left. I found comfort in that nightly routine.

This is the silverware we grew up with. In my family, it was what we used for every meal, as silver should be. Like relationships, silver needs attention and shines warmly when that’s just a part of your everyday life.

For no good reason I can think of, Carla and I never used this as our regular flatware, but we hope you and Andrew will. It needs a good home where it will be appreciated.

When children come along, I hope you’ll think about establishing a similar dinner routine. For a family to share stories and laughter around the dinner table every night, without electronics or interruption, is priceless.

Put this set to good use, no pampering or saving for company. No one is more important than you and your family.

Someday, you can have a drawing among both sets of quintuplets to see who will inherit this flatware, after you decide to pass it along.

Carla and I wish you many years of love, health, and laughter around your own family table.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Dad & Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment