Thursday, April 21, 2016

Sing to me in F Sharp...











I inherited my love of gadgets legitimately, from my Grandfather. We both used to get a little too excited over cameras and wristwatches. So when my parents gave me an Accutron wristwatch as a High School graduation present (and after I had pestered them endlessly about it), Grandpa was green with envy. It kept time with an innovative system that used a "360 hertz tuning fork instead of a balance wheel" as the timekeeping element. That was both new and groundbreaking at the time. Grandpa couldn't stop salivating and ran right out to buy one for himself. With that tuning fork, if you pressed it to your ear, you could hear it humming an F sharp. In the summer of 1966,following my high school graduation, I toured England with the church choir that I had sung in since I was 7 years old. When we hit Westminster Abbey to open with an a Capella hymn, our choir master realized that he had lost his pitch pipe. He had me listen to my watch and hum an F sharp. Scaling it up or down from there, he hummed the proper note for us to start on. I told my Grandfather about the F sharp, but at his age he had lost all hearing in the upper ranges and just had to take my word for it. He still loved his Accutron though and enjoyed telling people that his wristwatch was always singing... in F sharp, of course...



No comments:

Post a Comment