Friday, March 22, 2013

What is Tomorrow?










Kira has her lasers locked on, urging me to catch her stare. She knows that I’m boiling chicken thighs for her dinner. Thighs, chard, brown rice. After being lazy for a week and dishing out food from a can of mixed contents that even give a dog pause, all four misfits are more than ready for a real meal. So I locked on with the big dog and said: “Yes Kira, I’m making you a nice dinner.” She looked relieved and happy. She knew about longing, and waiting. She just needed reassurance that all was as it should be. I was making her something good. Although when I finally did put her dish down I still have a bit of a problem with the fact that she just engulfs it in seconds and never even says: “Dad, that was fucking delicious!” I don’t get that satisfaction. But then, she did ask for more, and looked at the pot on the stove. She knew there was a whole batch, sitting right there. I told her: “ No girl, that’s for tomorrow.” She asked me: “ What is tomorrow?”... I had no answer for her.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment