Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Death Spray...




There was an ad on TV the other day that promoted the services of an attorney who represents clients harmed by Monsanto’s “Round Up” and similar weed & grass killers. It sparked a memory of a summer job that my friend Jeff Devlin and I shared some 50 years ago, working for a weed control company.

Our job was to drive a water tank truck up into New England to service established customers. Once on site, we mixed dry chemicals into the water tank and sprayed the parking lots of grocery stores, movie theaters, gas stations, drive in movies, anywhere that clients had large areas of open blacktop where weeds were trying to poke through.

It was a fun job. No pressure. We set our own route. Our employer wasn’t overly concerned about the time-frame as long as the job got done within a week or two.

The summer of 1969 was a great time to be 21, carefree and driving someone else’s vehicle into unfamiliar territory, with plenty of time to explore along the way,

After quickly realizing that we could mix in half of the prescribed weed killer with no downside, we went rogue. Using only 50% of the allotted chemicals was still way more than enough to kill all vegetation that even got a whiff of the stuff.

That doubled our killing power and our income. We had enough left-over chemicals, and plenty of time, to offer the same service to any lot owners with a weed problem that we may pass in our travels.

This was long before anyone thought about the harm those chemicals could do to things other than parking lot weeds. You know, silly things like plants, water tables, animals…and humans. Especially humans that had frequent and direct contact.

All of it unknown collateral damage at the time.

Jeff and I wore no protective gear of any kind.

Holding large hoses that allowed for 30-foot sprays, the wind often shifted. We were frequently drenched. Our clothes stayed wet.

Sometimes we had wars between us and sprayed each other directly, on purpose. Week killer up the nose, in the ears and eyes, cold and clingy in the nether regions like a wet bathing suit.

Several years after Vietnam, Agent Orange killed a mutual buddy of ours. Cancer ravaged his body and brain.

That Monsanto lawyer on TV is making legal drug money, big bucks.

Why didn’t we have any problems? I choose to think it’s because we only sprayed with a diluted, 50% version of what we were told to use. (That’s a lesson I’ve taken very seriously. I never do anything I’m told to do.)

It’s a miracle that after all these years, Jeff and I are still alive and kicking. Amazing that neither of us are pushing a neck tumor the size of a pot-bellied pig, in a baby stroller in front of us.

I know that I feel great, and Jeff looks healthy in his pictures. (but I think he may use Photoshop to spruce up his image, just to make me jealous.)

I do wonder about this recent swelling on my neck though. I’m glad daughter Ruth left behind the baby stroller on her last visit.

I may...grow into it.






No comments:

Post a Comment