Tuesday, August 6, 2019

We are all Animals in the Zoo...








Sitting in the shade, grateful for an empty bench among all the animal cages, I felt his eyes on me, even though there appeared to be no one else around.

No shit, Sherlock, and there he was.

On the other side of the worn wooden deck, stood a huge Marabou stork, upright and defiant, only 7 feet away.

He was staring me down.

We played the “Who’s going to blink first” game for a few minutes, until I said a silent “OK, fuck it” and engaged.

“Dude! I didn’t see you there! Whazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsup?”  

He had been blank until then. I wanted to get him talking so I asked him to tell me his elevator story.
“You know, tell me about yourself in the time it would take to get to the 18th floor. Where you from?

Marabou: “Africa, south of the Sahara.” He answered.

“You’re quite a bird! Huge! Can you even fly?”

That got him bragging.

Marabou: “In addition to hollow leg bones, I have hollow toe bones. That weight cut allows me to fly like a gazelle runs. It’s a beautiful thing. You should see me.”

 (I lied and told him that hollow toe bones had always been high on my wish list, which encouraged him to continue.)

Marabou: “We Marabou storks are bald-headed.” He boasted.

(He acted like that was a good thing in the Marabou world although he did have a little ball of reddish hair on the back of his noggin that reminded me of my great Aunt Jeedie when she was fresh from having her hair fried at the beauty parlor. Mainly I thought: Been there, done that, still doing that bald thing. We’re Simpatico!)

Marabou: “All us guys carry large air sacs. We have a long, reddish pouch hanging from our necks. The pouch is used in our courtship rituals. Mine is especially beautiful. Chicks love it.”
(I was thinking that human guys could have their balls transplanted to their necks and see how that works out. Fill them full of silicon to get that irresistible look of a two-foot scrotum hanging off our chins.)

Marabou: Like our cousins, those Turkey Vulture in the next pen over, we Marabou Storks defecate on our legs and feet to stay and look cool!”

(Not everyone’s cup of tea I thought but then after all, we start out in life shitting ourselves and get back to it by the time we’re almost done. No biggie, I may rather enjoy warming my feet like that on a cold day.)

I had started thinking about lunch and asked him: “What do you guys eat?”

Marabou: “All of us love a good grass fire or large burns. We march in front of the advancing flames grabbing animals that are fleeing. It’s an awesome buffet. Many of those delicious, stupid critters are already partially grilled!”

 (I couldn’t help admiring his ingenuity.)

Marabou: “I love nothing more than a nice dead elephant for din-din. I’ll eat carcasses and rotting material, anything from termites, flamingos’ small birds and mammals to human refuse and dead elephants. I may be a foodie, but I’m flexible.” 

I had to ask: “But how do you feel about being locked up and on display?”

Then he grew dark, feeling misunderstood.

Marabou: Who is on display here, who’s watching who? What do you really know? Some idiot suggested that we are lazy birds, because we spend so much of our time standing around motionless…and that’s true. But if you were always thinking about quarks, hadrons, dark matter and the stability of protons like I do, you would need a lot of private time to really concentrate too.”

“Good point” I offered. “So maybe you want me to move along?”

Marabou: “That would be best for both of us. I’m tired of you. You seem quite dull, and to be honest, I would have much more interest in you if you were dead and rotting.”

Getting up to go find the rest of my group, I couldn’t help thinking that maybe Mr. Marabou was right. Humans are the ones on display on the world stage, being observed for the long haul.  We’re the ones who will eventually be running from burning buildings.

He scowled at me as I was walking away.

 We both knew that if, and when, humans run out of the fires, he and his buddies will be waiting…


hmh



No comments:

Post a Comment