Saturday, December 15, 2018

Be The Change...

 




It’s a marvelous thing, when the student becomes the teacher. As parents, we learn from our kids every day, but when they are grown and walking their own path in this world and we watch them metamorphose over time into something much better than the sum of both parents, it’s gratifying as hell.

The first time I ever heard the phrase “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Was from my daughter. It really made me stop and think. But this isn’t about her, it’s about all of us. About you, about me. I’m the worst when it comes to bitching about Trump or our lack of compassion as a country. It’s easy to complain. Every time I do it, I become less as a person. Bitter doses that pollute the stream.

So I remind myself that I need to shut out the static, focus inward more, embrace politics and the flood of negative that is the stock and trade of the media, less.
I need to ask the man in the mirror: “What can I do?”

Reading Ruth’s posts helps me have a better idea how to do that.
________________________________________________
Ruth posted:

Today I attended parent-teacher conferences for some of the kids I tutor. There are issues, but they are trying so, so hard.

Every single teacher highlighted that.

From there I swung by my Syrian friends new house. They just moved into a real house with a front and back yard and no paper-thin shared walls (a huge upgrade), a garage to put their bikes in so they don’t keep getting stolen. A place to call their own. The kids are thriving, the parents have jobs, and they showed me around with a quiet pride, speaking of plans for gardens and swing sets.

Afterwards, I picked up my foster kid, more a young woman, less a kid. To be honest I was trepidatious in taking on an older kid, but she’s blown me away. Charming, smart, open and loving, we ate Cinnabons as she asked me for advice on everything from school to her new boyfriend. In and out of foster care since the age of 10, no one checks on her but a social worker, but she’s making it. She’s incredible. Kids are incredible. I am humbled and forever grateful to share time with them. We are so bombarded with all the bad news of the world, but there’s also so much good. 




No comments:

Post a Comment