Monday, September 10, 2018

Reflections...






Every day, I am reminded of how at odds I feel with much of the culture we live in. Don't offer me tickets to the Magic Kingdom, I'm not going. Most things Disney, Kardashian, Vegas, mainstream TV, crowds large and small...cause me to feel bad...about all of us. The things we aspire to; the things we wait in line for. I have no “Midnight Madness Sale” bug nor any interest in the contents of the local mall. My eyes glaze over when you start talking about the big game. Politicians won't see me at any of their rallys, nor will I be in the congregation of any priest, reverend or guru claiming insider information while passing the plate. For me, Eddie Arnold, handed down the boring gene to George Straight who gave it to Allen Jackson who helped spawn the majority of the country pop artists on any mainstream radio today. Most of it a big yawn. Put on some Steve Earle or Lucinda Williams for me. Something with a bite. Please don't make me live in a “planned community” where my McMansion is a clone of every other house on the block and to which I sadly tie my identity, even though it is actually owned by Bank of America.

Misplaced priorities and the pursuit of mediocrity rule too routinely.

Yet we are more alike than different. We strut our uniqueness while embracing the sameness. It’s one color instead of another, this undisguisable from that, beyond the thinnest veneer.

As I think about such things, I remember the Carl Jung quote Carla mentioned to me which I’m unable to shake: “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”

I wish I could hide from its truth and escape my own harsh judgements in the mirror.





No comments:

Post a Comment