Friday, August 4, 2017










On a mutual day off, we nestled down in the old couch that really should be thrown out. It’s just that the thing makes a perfect platform for pillows of all shapes and sizes. Great nesting material.

Carla was typing away furiously on her laptop, waving flags of protest and leading marches with her passionate diatribes. I stretched out with a UFC fight on the flat screen.

Pausing the action to go get more coffee, uncharacteristically, Carla paused too. It’s not easy for her to break away from that stream of consciousness, in-the-moment Tsunami that often drives her. Turning to me slowly with a serious demeanor, as if surprised by the gravity of her own revelation, she looked directly into my eyes said “I love you, Hugh” and then immediately jumped back into the raging torrent that is her bright mind, chugging full speed ahead down multiple tracks and directions at the same time.

Deep water swimming, while I hold the beach.
She comes up for perspective, oxygen only an afterthought.
Catching my eye, we nod silent agreement,
Unchanged since our beginning.
And once again, I’m reborn.

hmh



No comments:

Post a Comment