Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Price of Gas...






My Mother-In-Law was a wonderful lady, a perfect Grandma for our two daughters; we lived 5 houses down when they were little. But for some reason, she was obsessed with the price of gas, even though she didn’t drive. It aggravated her tremendously that I had no idea what the gas prices were at any of the stations nearby. I just filled-up when necessary, at the closest station. I don’t really understand people's concern with gas prices, are you really going to drive across town to save 20 cents a gallon? What is your own time worth? And when the prices go high, what can you do about it?

Groceries are another one of those things. I shop at the Publix close to me. They’re friendly and familiar. No, I don’t remember what the groceries cost last time. My eyes glaze over when the cashier tells me. It’s not that we’re rich, but I know that I have enough in the bank to buy gas and groceries. So I don't worry about it.

No coupons for me either, but I always tell the checker that if my wife asks, I used tons of coupons and saved a bundle. Is that just a gender thing? Women use coupons and men don’t?

My point is that I think it is an unhealthy waste of time to worry about the cost of necessities, unless, of course, you don’t have enough money to cover them. But if you are an average American, the cost of water, propane, electricity, phone, cable, flea meds for the dogs or vacuum cleaner bags…are what they are and I would rather talk about something else. Food, music, art, a book or movie, our children, animals, other people, the meaning of life…isn’t all that stuff a lot more interesting?
90% of the things most people worry about never happen. Are gas prices going up? Electric? Water? Yes, all of them are going up. Other than electronics, what prices go down? Is it worth worrying about? What are important priorities in our daily lives anyway?

I believe the Beatles were right about love. That matters. On my deathbed I suspect I’ll cling to art and love the most.

But if there is a huge sale on Royal Red Shrimp going on out of that Ford F150 the guy parks in the Walmart parking lot every Saturday afternoon, I’m going. Not for the savings so much, as for the shrimp. Even if I have to totally rearrange my schedule to get there, I'll do it, because that is an example of a high priority worth thinking about...and I don't care how much gas it takes to get there either!




No comments:

Post a Comment