Saturday, June 18, 2016

Welcome!









Over the course of 3 million years or so, rock, bone, flint, and obsidian have given way to titanium, ceramics, Damascus and high carbon stainless steels. Handles made with modern materials, Micarta, G10, carbon fiber, pair with a wide variety of lock-ups and openers. From neck knives to push, fixed blades to folders, I've been in love with knives since I was a kid. 

When my Grandparents went to Europe, I begged them to bring me back a switchblade from Italy. Those knives were poorly made from cheap materials, but unavailable in the States. Just by dint of the fact that it was a switch blade, I campaigned heavily. I guess they thought that I was a good kid and over the top about this knife thing, so they caved and brought me one. My parents did the same thing several years later. By the time I was in high school, I had a small collection. That ended one day when my older brother and I were wrestling at home. Kenny had one of my switchblades in his pocket. Our wrestling pushed the opener button and I got stabbed in my upper thigh. Mom found out and when I came home from school the next day, she was standing on the concrete floor of the open garage, methodically smashing each of my switchblades with a sledgehammer.

With time, I got over the trauma of having my favorite toys smashed but I never lost the pure lust I have for edged weapons.

Put your hand on top of the shelf closest to my front door if you want a fixed blade. Double daggers hang in their sheath next to the side doors. I keep a hand ax by the bedroom doors and two blades hang from the bedpost. There's a knife clipped to the underside of my car seat and one in it's carrier tucked under the seat of my bike. I always carry an assisted opener or an automatic with a very secure lock-up clipped to the inside of my belt.

These days the materials are so good, the blades made from amazing steels that didn't exist 50 years ago, they are like jewels to me. It wouldn't go well for a burglar breaking into my house That's exactly the kind of theft protection I rely on from a pair of stainless 38 Special revolvers and a nice 12-gauge pump shotgun.

I'm serious about that "WELCOME" sign over our front door, but be sure to only use that entrance...

hmh




No comments:

Post a Comment