Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Metro Diner review...








Rave! Metro Diner...

Carla came home at 7am this morning when her graveyard shift at the nursing home was over. She does a similar health care job all week, another live-in position, so we don't see each other very much these days. With two hours between jobs, and before I had to leave for work myself, I suggested that we go to Metro Diner. Both of us wanted the comfort of a hot breakfast, and a little time together. As she fixed her hair, getting ready to go, looking into the big oval mirror in the hall, I stepped up behind her, pulling her close and burying my face into her hair at the back of her neck. Breathing deeply, drinking in her scent, I slipped my warm hands up under her clothes, pulling her even closer, lost in the moment that I wanted to freeze in time. But the demands of the clock broke my spell. So we straightened up and headed out to Metro.
Carla snuggled into a warm booth, wrapped up in a new, used coat from Goodwill. Basically a comforter with pockets. Perfect for a chilly morning. She got a huge plate of Southern style biscuits and gravy with a fresh berry lemonade. Her drink dripped cold sweat rings onto a napkin as the waitress served me my Eggs Benedict, one with crab a cake, one with steak. The home fries were topped with green peppers, onions, and cheese. Everything was cooked perfectly, the poached eggs releasing their liquid yokes with the first stab of my fork. Our waitress couldn't have been more friendly or professional, my coffee cup never got less than half full. It was just so good to be able to sit and talk. I've always been proud of the fact that even after 36 years of marriage, when Carla would come home at three in the morning after work and slip into bed next to me, we could talk for hours. I want, need, to hear her voice, share our feelings and thoughts, both of us excited to be together. That's what we had this morning in that booth, accompanied by great food, excellent service, and an overall blanket of much needed familiarity... like air to a person who has been underwater too long.
Many thanks to Metro Diner for the hospitality, an exceptional breakfast, and the privacy of a warm booth to share with my favorite person on this planet. I had been starving for all of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment