Saturday, June 20, 2015

Yellow Jackets








The first time I saw the artwork of Bryan Shanchez was in Medellin, Columbia, dominating the side of a five story building. Be it a 30 foot mural or a 3 inch tattoo, Bryan brings true artistry to all of his work. This tattoo is done in the “watercolor”, free-form style. The image of a Yellow Jacket takes me back to my 8 year old self, a budding Entomologist. I collected insects, impaled on mounting pins in neat little rows of dried exoskeletons inside of the colorful cigar boxes that were still made with Balsa. Wasps, beetles, hornets...but no Yellow Jackets. They were too common for me to collect and too damn mean. Unlike Honey Bees who prefer to mind their own business and only sting in defense, Yellow jackets sting just for the fun of it, over and over. Then they call their buddies in to join the party. “Hey guys, come sting this human with me! You'll love the way he freaks out, dancing and waving his arms. Yo Bill! Sting him right behind his ear, see if you can get him to make those high sounds like a girl! We've got to do this more often, I'm laughing so hard I'm about to pee on my own stinger!”

You don't want to fuck with Yellow Jackets.




No comments:

Post a Comment