Monday, October 7, 2013

Tribal Grandma...









I was standing in the Publix checkout line, waiting for the chance to load my groceries onto the belt. Once I put the divider up between the lady in front of me, her groceries and mine, I went to work. I like to be efficient and place things in a certain order and pattern.. That involves evaluating the bagger, their skill level and ability, and then feed the conveyor belt accordingly. But I did pause to admire the fact that the little old lady in front of me had a bold new tribal tat covering the entire back of her neck. She was easily 76, 100 pounds, hunched over a bit, wrapped in a faded blue dress that looked more like a robe with worn frills that hadn't looked good even when the dress was new...all of that familiarity was stamped, permanently and from behind, with a black circle of spears woven together like snakes in a mating cluster.

No comments:

Post a Comment