Friday, April 5, 2013

Maverick Silver













For more than 100 years, “Maverick” belt buckles were custom made in a Mexican silver shop and given to every male in my family when they turned 16. That tradition ended when my Grandfather passed. He was the last male in that line, no living sons to carry the name. 

The back of this buckle reads: “From Grandpa Maverick to Hugh Maverick Haller, Jan 23, 1964”. 

Although I wore it for twenty years, another twenty passed as it sat, overlooked and forgotten. Yesterday I noticed it in my closet, peeping out from underneath a pile of belts, its leather cracked, mildewed… several sizes too small for me now. This morning I removed the buckle and shined it up. Tomorrow I’ll go into town where there is a small leather-craft shop in the historic district. The owner makes a wide variety of leather goods: purses, wallets, belts... I plan to start wearing my new belt very soon. With a bit of luck we’ll both be good for another 20 years...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment