Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dear Doctor...

Dear Doctor,

I won't be back to see you again and feel it's only fair to tell you why. It's not because I moved out of town or wanted to try a different doctor. It's because you drove me away.

Initially I started to see you in need of a GP. That was some...what, two or three years ago? My wife told me that you had a reputation for being good at your job, and that has generally proven to be true. But here's the rub: In dealing with people, it would be best for yourself and for your patients if you put in some serious work in developing people skills. OK, you've got the analysis covered. You're good with identifying physical health concerns and addressing them. But when it comes to the people part, you seem to be both clueless and lacking.

Yes, I know if I want entertainment, I should go to a movie, or Vegas. It's not that. It's about you paying more attention to your laptop than you do to me. At our last exam you barely looked up from your keyboard. I made a few jokes in an effort to lighten the mood but you not only didn't laugh or smile, you didn't even acknowledge that I had spoken. It's that way every time. You may be the most humorless man I know. An appointment with you feels about as intimate as a drive through the car wash. Perhaps you're the most skilled GP in all of Florida, but I would rather see a doctor with average skills who is pleasant to be around and makes me feel like he cares about me as a patient and as a person. I really get the impression that if I dropped dead on the floor in front of you, that would simply be an opportunity for you to update my charts and move on to your next patient.

Helping people to feel good about themselves and about their time with you is huge. People skills may be the single most important of all of our personal tools as we make our way through this blink of an eye we call life. All human interaction can be made better with a liberal dose. Husbands, wives, sons, daughters, employees, employers...all greatly improve their odds of getting what they want in life if they understand just how important it is that they do their best to help others get what they want and to help them to be the best they can be...and feel good about it. Although you seem to feel that humor and sincere interaction with your patients is frivolous or beneath you, I would maintain that it is crucial, right up there with oxygen.

I heard a line in a movie once about a sour, humorless guy of whom one friend said to the other: " That guy needs a joint and a blowjob more than anyone I know." That's you.

None of this is intended to be a personal attack. No offense, just business. I believe you operate best that way.

Happy Holidays!
Hugh Haller

2 comments:

  1. "...all greatly improve their odds of getting what they want in life if they understand just how important it is that they do their best to help others get what they want..."

    Excellent observation, my friend. Same goes for teachers.

    ReplyDelete